Simple Ways to Elevate Movie Night
Up Your Movie Night Game With 40 Memorable Flicks
Congratulations, you made it to Friday! Since we are all at home rocking social distancing, how about a movie night? There are many ways to make a simple movie night extra special, and an experience to remember.
Escaping into a carefully selected movie, that will entertain every member of the family is restorative. In truth, kids' movie time is generally a chance to watch something I want to watch, clean up or work but, on Friday's, I allow myself the time to drop everything and simply relax and connect with my family.
Tips for success
- Create a rewards system earlier in the day (or week) to earn "movie bucks" to purchase treats at your home movie theater.
- Help your kids set up a concession stand with popcorn (or kettle corn), popcorn bowls or paper bags and napkins. Let the kids play vendor. They can serve each family member popcorn individually.
- Add in your child's favorite candy or treat selection.
- Give the kids a warm bath before the movie and everyone can choose their coziest pajamas.
- Bring out your favorite blankets and pillows, or even set up a fort or tent.
- Make a fire or turn on the fireplace if you have one.
- Brush teeth and go potty right before dimming the lights in case some cute snugglers fall asleep during the movie.
- Leave your cell phone in another room to give yourself a chance to really settle in and give your family and the movie your full attention.
- Allow the first person dressed, brushed and ready to select the movie out of a hat filled with options nominated by the family at dinner time.
Twenty Great Movies to Watch With Little Ones
- Mary Poppins Returns
- Monsters Inc.
- The Princess and the Frog
- Frozen (1 & 2)
- Angry birds 2 (team work)
- Land Before Time
- Fivel Goes West, Fivel Goes to America
- Lion King
- Snow White & The Seven Dwarves
- Robin Hood (the original)
- Madagascar (1-3)
- The Parent Trap
- Bedknobs and Broomsticks
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
- The Jungle Book (animated)
Twenty Great Movies to Watch With Big Kids
- The Princess Bride
- Lady Bugs
- It Takes Two
- Cheaper by the Dozen 2
- Mrs. Doubtfire
- Honey I Shrunk The Kids
- The Sound of Music
- Home Alone
- Paddington 2
- The Harry Potter Series
- Akeelah and the Bee
- Spy Kids
- The Back to the Future Series
- The Karate Kid
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
- The Jungle Book (the new version)
As we've settled into this temporary new normal, it’s becoming more obvious that creating wonderful memories, like the ones we have from our own childhoods, does not require extravagance or a wild adventure. In fact, some of my most lasting memories stem from feelings not actions. Peaceful moments at home when everyone is blissfully relaxed creates comfort for your children, and they will remember that sensation forever.
Hopefully one benefit from this period of our lives is that we will give ourselves permission to immerse ourselves in our family in a more focused way, even when schedules and social engagements are constantly pulling at us once again.
Try out our Family Movie Night Bingo cards for a fun and simple activity to keep kids actively engaged!
What's working well for you and your family? We look forward to hearing from you at email@example.com.
We welcome you to check out our blog for more inspiration from a list of Ten Tips For Parents Working From Home, join as we explore ways to Unearth A State of Calm or creative ways to Banish Boredom in light of social distancing.
Also, please take a moment to explore our happyly Survival Toolbox designed to create positive days at home with your family. As always, we welcome your family's highlights! Tag us on Instagram @gethappyly!